backup archive format saved to disk

Hello,

I'm going to be backing up to a portable ruggedized hard drive.
Currently, my backups end up in tar.bz2 format.

It would be nice if there was some redundancy in the data stream to
handle blocks that go bad while the drive is in storage (e.g. archive).

How is this handled on tape? Is it built-into the hardware
compression?

Do I need to put a file system on a disk partition if I'm only saving
one archive file or can I just write the archive to the partition
directly (and read it back) as if it was a scsi tape?

Is there an archive or compression format that includes the ability to
not only detect errors but to correct them? (e.g. store ECC data
elsewhere in the file) If there was, and I could write it directly to
the disk, then that would solve the blocks-failing-while-drive-stored
issue.

Thanks,

Doug.

  • Re: Weird postfix problem when upgrading to Squeeze
    ... specifying which servers can relay without authenticating. ... The previous postfix version was working flawlessly. ... This is the format I always use. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: linux-2.6.0-test1 : modules not working
    ... #undef CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT ... > To unsubscribe from this list: ... Do you Yahoo!? ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Where to, LibreOffice?
    ... The RTF format has been a mess for many years (the format itself, ... LibreOffice -- the things named after OpenOffice seem to be all ... Modify settings or unsubscribe at: ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Antivirus for CLI
    ... nmh installed for everybody to use because you get out of mbox ... nmh puts each message in its own file and if clamav quarrantines those ... mailbox format, that use a single file for each email. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: help parsing output
    ... looks to me like your biggest problem is that each file has several sections, each in different formats, so it's not just a matter getting everything into a uniform tabular structure for import into a spreadsheet. ... breaks each file into several files, each of a uniform format, then process each type of file separately, or b, ... there is no difference between theory and practice. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)