Re: sarge->etch upgrade hits dependency hell

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:05:05PM -0500, hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 03:30:47PM -0500, Sarunas Burdulis wrote:

Sound like what I have seen "as usual" while doing dist upgrades (Debian
and Ubuntu). Several apt-get {update|upgrade|dist-upgrade|-f install}
cycles often are needed. Some packages almost always get "stuck", i.e.
cannot be upgraded or prevent other packages to be upgraded. For those I
do apt-get remove and then install.

The hard part is to identify the key packages that are blocking all the
rest.

It seems to me that there must be a better way of organising all this.
Has anyone done any kind of mathematical analysis of package
repository management?

-- hendrik