Re: sarge->etch upgrade hits dependency hell

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:05:05PM -0500, hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 03:30:47PM -0500, Sarunas Burdulis wrote:

Sound like what I have seen "as usual" while doing dist upgrades (Debian
and Ubuntu). Several apt-get {update|upgrade|dist-upgrade|-f install}
cycles often are needed. Some packages almost always get "stuck", i.e.
cannot be upgraded or prevent other packages to be upgraded. For those I
do apt-get remove and then install.

The hard part is to identify the key packages that are blocking all the
rest.

It seems to me that there must be a better way of organising all this.
Has anyone done any kind of mathematical analysis of package
repository management?

-- hendrik

  • sarge dist-upgrade "Package is in a very bad inconsistent state"
    ... You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these: ... Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages. ... postgresql postgresql-client ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: apt-get problems.
    ... >apt-get, lovely tool. ... unrelated to the program you are trying to install or upgrade, ... packages which depend on the package you have asked to remove. ... printer related kde app and much of kde itself just by hovering the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Upgrade all "kept back" packages
    ... apt-get dist-upgrade instead of apt-get upgrade. ... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: ... python-enchant python-iniparse python-levenshtein ... # apt-get install vlc-nox ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Updates SOLVED!
    ... Putting Synaptic to one side, and after having done the apt-get update, ... problems with the vlc package, ... Then an apt-get install vlc may have printed out some usefull info. ... We've already confirmed that if you originally got vlc from freshrpms, the maintainer should be shown as Matthias Saou, so the packages above should also show him as the maintainer. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Package installation errors
    ... #apt-get upgrade ... You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these: ... The following packages have unmet dependencies: ... Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages. ...
    (Debian-User)