Point missed. Was: Re: Debian as a Web server

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 21:00 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 08:53:37PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 18:54 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

cPanel and Plesk plus others have support for the stable versions of
Debian (cPanel even still supports Woody, though that is changed
shortly)

There is also webmin, which keeps up quite nicely even with Sid, IIRC.

Webmin is deprecated in Etch and Sid. There is only one webmin package
left in the Archive for Etch or Sid.

Etch isn't yet supported by any of the Panel services/applications.

Except for webmin :-)

There is no Webmin in Sid for sure.

greg@princess:~$ apt-cache search webmin
webmin-ldap-user-simple - Ldap users control module for webmin (skolelinux)

The Webmin packages currently available for Debian @ Webmin's official
site don't adapt well to the way things are being done in Debian now.

Any future upgrade will be a HUGE PITA and cause a buncha manual work.

That is absolutely not true. Webmin may not be in the official archive
anymore, but they still do support Debian. The problem is that it is
such a fast moving target that the Debian maintainers can't keep up.
Webmin still works on Debian and still supports it.

It has a built-in update mechanism which can be used to keep webmin
updated from the upstream releases.

I guess you missed my point.

The point is, the setup for the webserver stuff and the modules to be
loaded by it... and the bind configuration and the configurations it
uses. The "split config" setups in Exim and Apache and Bind and other
services.

Webmin globs them all together. There lies the "upgrade" issues I speak
of. I know Webmin supports Debian Woody/Sarge/Etch, but not in the way
debconf can continue to manage it without bailing.

--
greg, greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux

  • Re: Debian as a Web server
    ... Debian (cPanel even still supports Woody, ... There is also webmin, which keeps up quite nicely even with Sid, IIRC. ... but they still do support Debian. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian as a Web server
    ... cPanel and Plesk plus others have support for the stable versions of ... Debian (cPanel even still supports Woody, ... There is also webmin, which keeps up quite nicely even with Sid, IIRC. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Hilfe bei Debian Sarge (NFS, CIFS, ZONEMINDER)
    ... Dies ist ein freies Handbuch für Debian, ... komplette Webadministration (geht wohl mit Webmin, hatte ich auch schon am laufen. ... CIFS ist schon etwas schwieriger, ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: xubuntu 12.04 and webmin
    ... Which is exactly what people are saying about Webmin... ... I don't like answers like "in Ubuntu is the package was not maintained in Debian and the Debian Developer who had been maintaining it requested its removal a few years ago". ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Squid & access control
    ... I can't get squid to function on Debian via Webmin. ... Set up ports & networking, http port 3128 and the IP of my machine. ... I have not seen an option in Webmin to initialize my cache. ...
    (Debian-User)