Re: smooth upgrades

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 07:50 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 04:05:31PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 22:48 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 03:04:46PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
You should take a look at my sources.list

http://www.gregfolkert.net/files/sources.list

[qoute from above link]
# COMMENTS:
# Do not forget to put in /etc/apt/apt.conf
#
# APT::Default-Release "<version>";
# APT::Cache-Limit 18000000;
#
# Else you'll never be able to parse all of these
#
# version can be: woody, sarge, etch, sid,
# oldstable, stable, testing,
# unstable or experimental
#
[/qoute]

The APT-HOWTO doesn't mention code-names for the 'Default-Release'
option and my experiments suggest they don't work at all.

Hmm, unless you have the the sources labeled as them...

IOW like this:

## Old Stable - Debian (currently Woody)
#deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free

## Stable - Debian (currently Sarge)
#deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free

## Testing - Debian (currently Etch)
#deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

## Unstable - Debian (always SID, or Still In Developement)
#deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

Then they do work. And I just tested it here on the very machine I am
typing from... and it does work with the release labels. Perhaps I
should make a second sources.list this way. To remove any confusion.

How did you test? I used 'apt-cache policy' after each change. When I
used codenames it was like the entry never existed.
Here:

greg@princess:~$ apt-cache policy
Package files:
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
release a=now
500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org experimental/main Packages
release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=experimental,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
origin www.debian-multimedia.org
500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid/main Packages
release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=unstable,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
origin www.debian-multimedia.org
500 http://www.burtonini.com unstable/ Packages
release o=http://www.burtonini.com/,a=unstable,l=Ross Burton,c=
origin www.burtonini.com
500 http://kitenet.net unstable/ Packages
release o=Joey Hess,a=unstable,l=joey,c=
origin kitenet.net
1 http://ftp.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/non-free Packages
release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=non-free
origin ftp.us.debian.org
1 http://ftp.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/contrib Packages
release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=contrib
origin ftp.us.debian.org
1 http://ftp.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/main Packages
release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=main
origin ftp.us.debian.org
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/non-free Packages
release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=non-free
origin ftp.us.debian.org
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/contrib Packages
release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=contrib
origin ftp.us.debian.org
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
origin ftp.us.debian.org
Pinned packages:

greg@princess:~$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Default-Release "sid";

greg@princess:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# Uncomment only those you want or need.
#

## Unstable - Debian (always SID, or Still In Developement)
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

## Experimental - Debian (always Experimental)
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free

## Joey Hess' ../bleedingedge before it's submitted to the archive
deb http://kitenet.net/~joey/debian/ unstable/
deb-src http://kitenet.net/~joey/debian/ unstable/

## Ross Burtonini's stuff
deb http://www.burtonini.com/debian/ unstable/
deb-src http://www.burtonini.com/debian/ unstable/

## Christian Marillat's stuff (http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ for more info)
## uncomment one "deb" version and the deb-src (if you want the sources)
# deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sarge main
# deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org experimental main
deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main

Hope that is enough of an explanation for you.
--
greg, greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux

  • my apt-get behaves weird in Lenny
    ... I am new in Debian Lenny. ... #deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main ... #deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main ... deb-src http://debian.wgdd.de/debian stable main contrib non-free ...
    (Debian-User)
  • openoffice.org1.1-bin: Depends: libfreetype6 (< 2.1.0) but 2.1.4-5 is to be installed +++ E: Sorr
    ... Some packages could not be installed. ... (no problem for me to uninstall all & install again, but i don't want to do ... deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib ... deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: apt.conf or preferences can work in that case?
    ... #deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free ... #deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free ... Package: * ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: apt.conf or preferences can work in that case?
    ... Explanation: Sid ... #deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free ... #deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free ...
    (Debian-User)
  • apt.conf or preferences can work in that case?
    ... In addition the same packages might appear in sid or experimental. ... #deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free ... #deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free ...
    (Debian-User)