Re: getting xorg working on an old box .....

Jakub Narojczyk wrote:

Hi gdm and kdm are both "resource consumeing" so i recomend using xdm or
just startx command on an old machine. Especially when You're short on
RAM.

Yes they are. gdm a lot more so than kdm (I chucked gdm because I
thought it was even too slow on my 3GHz Athlon).

After running the window manager the ?dm's don't do nothing more
than stay in the memory till You finish Your xsession.

Actually they will be swapped out, so after the actual X session starts,
they won't consume any valuable RAM.

Anyway, I agree with your advice: Use xdm, or no desktop manager at all.

--Daniel

  • Re: locked out from gdm - input field greyed out
    ... you could use a new display manager: ... Then make kdm the default: ... want to find out what's bugging gdm, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Xorg "random" crashes on lenny
    ... I used to use GDM for long time but than the X started to crash, so I thought that it might be because of GDM, so I switched to Slim, but still the same. ... Now I'm using KDM... ... "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: From KDE back to Gnome (a subject to future newbie-doc site ?)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: gdm X login does not work anymore after last update (dbus problem?)