Re: kmail SMTP problems

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:46:27 +0100
Robert Epprecht <epprecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I try to set up kmail to use SMTP on google mail accounts. I have
tried to do this on my machine here (Debian sarge) as a test and
everything works fine. But (as a Gnus user) I do not need kmail for
me, but try to set it up on another machine which is a Debian sid
system. But whatever I tried I cannot send mail from Kmail there. The
mail just stays in the outgoing mail directory without any error
message being displayed. I couldn't find an error log file either.

How can I find out what the problem might be?

Are you trying to use an MTA to send?

No, I try to use SMTP (from Kmail)

If not then the fact that you can send using 'mail' is not relevant.

That was also my impression, but googling around I found a message
where somebody had the same problem and was told, that he would
need sendmail installed to enable kmail to use SMTP. This surprised
me, but I tried at least (using exim4 instead)...

Check kmail's preferences. There is usually a setting like 'keep
messages in queue', and kmail will not (try to) send them until you use
the Send/Receive (or whatever it is called) button.

No it's not that. I have checked 'send now' (which works as expected
on my other test installation).

P.S. Sorry for suggesting trivial stuff, but you didn't provide enough
info so I'm just guessing.

Thank you anyway. Sorry for not telling all the details. I hoped somebody
could tell me how to get some kind of error messages so that I could
possibly fix it on my own.

Here is some more information:

I use pop to get the mail which is working (on both systems).
I use SMTP on server smtp.gmail.com port 465 with authentification
and TLS plain (like google mail webpage tells me to do).

Kmail tries to send but stays at 0%. The messages remain in the
outgoing mail folder and are not moved to the sent mail folder.
On my other system (where I do not need Kmail but installed it
just to experiment with it) everything works fine (on the very same
gmail account).

My problem is, that I can't find out how to get an error message
or SMTP log to find out what's wrong.

Robert