Re: Will Debian include Ubuntu changes?

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 01:34:19PM -0500, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
In particular, I'm interested in finding out if Debian has any intention
of including some of the wireless drivers that Ubuntu has gotten into
their kernel. Does anyone know anything about this, or who I should
contact?

In particular, I'm interested in Debian including the 818x driver for
realtek chips. It's sort of a wishlist item, and the code is already
there in Ubuntu. But it's also a hardware support request, and I can
only imagine what things would be like if there were a bug submitted on
every piece of hardware that people wanted to get working.

Ask on debian-boot.

I don't do Ubuntu. I _think_ that the reason that some find newer
hardware supported is that they use a newer kernel. Newer than what, I
don't know. When bleeding-edge hardware gest support in the kernel
upstream, it takes some time to get through unstable (Sid) into testing
(currently Etch). But at least when it does, it has been tested to some
extent and doesn't break other stuff.

So first see if Etch solves it for you.

Doug.

  • [Full-disclosure] [USN-302-1] Linux kernel vulnerabilities
    ... A security issue affects the following Ubuntu releases: ... Due to an unavoidable ABI change the Ubuntu 6.06 kernel ... a remote attacker could exploit this to trigger a buffer ... amd64 architecture ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re:ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 54, Issue 21
    ... BIOS settings for Thinkpads using Ubuntu ... # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. ... # Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST ... ## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 52, Issue 253
    ... i've downloaded the packages..and install them into my Ubuntu Hardy ... kernel? ... Re: Ubuntu Help: Ubuntu will not load up porperly ... Anyone with problems upgrading alsa driver on Hardy ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • [Full-disclosure] [USN-486-1] Linux kernel vulnerabilities
    ... A security issue affects the following Ubuntu releases: ... Due to an unavoidable ABI change the Ubuntu 6.10 kernel updates ... function a local attacker could exploit the getsockoptcalls to ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Ubuntu 9.04
    ... The experience can vary substantially with Ubuntu, depending on the hardware ... I have had flakey wireless in Ubuntu depending on the kernel version, ... mentioned, if you search the kernel bug reports, and perhaps the Ubuntu bug ...
    (alt.os.linux)