Re: [Debian-User] Re: More on Network Install

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:28:25 -0700
Archive <thilts33@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[huge snip]

The entire Debian archive is ~205 GB. You do *not* want to download
that over a slow connection.

1. Unless you have special needs it is enough to download the first two
CDs. That's about 1.5 GB. If you need just a few other packages it is
much better to install them directly with aptitude (and option 'with
recommends' turned off). You can use the jigdo search facility to find
out on what image is a certain file or what packages are contained on
a certain image: http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/#search

2. Order the full CD set (14 CDs?).

HTH,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

  • Re: how many CDs for v3.1 r3?
    ... for a download, I found out that I would need to download 18 CDs: ... The packages are sorted by popularity: ... A "complete" install of all packages is impossible. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user
    ... (and others packages) ... I don't have to download them. ... I have been on this list for many years and common courtesy used to be ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Next stable release: 13 CDs
    ... your packages, then yes, you'll need the CDs. ... apparently would be willing to download and burn all the CDs if there ... ISOs; but you're not interested in an approach which would cause ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Where are the CD 9, 10 ... for Debian Wheezy?
    ... But the list of md5sum indicates that there are 68 CDs ... subject of "unsubscribe". ... then you can use jigdo (Jigsaw download) program to download individual ... Those with good network access can simply download staraight from the Internet. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] 10.3 CD question
    ... It probably has just the packages ... do the install from CDs. ... To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx ... For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (SuSE)