Re: authentication failure

I'am sorry for my English.My box worked fine a week ago. When I login using root last night, I type in wrong password more than 5 times. Now, I can log in using a second account I have set up only.

From: Kent West <westk@xxxxxxx>
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: authentication failure
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:34:30 -0500

semgogo sem wrote:
> I think that the password I'm typing in is correct. It worked fine a
> week ago. I do nothing but try login using root by wrong password.

I'm sorry, but your English fails me on this last sentence; I'm unsure
what you're saying.

Perhaps there is someone else who admins that box, and that person has
changed root's password?

If you've got sudo set up, you might try that instead.

You might try typing root's password at a normal prompt, just to make
sure you're not getting a wrong character from some mis-configured
keyboard setting or similar.

BTW, no need to CC: me; I already read the list.
Also, BTW, top-posting is generally discouraged on this list. (Google
"top-posting" if you need more info.)

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>

  • Re: Unable to su as a user, I get: Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied
    ... on the xconsole screen..it lets me login and then bounces me ... execute /bin/bash: Permission denied ... It'll be executed by the user, not root. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: I cannot log in to my debian wheezy system!
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Hardware
    ... write a user name, a user account name, login name and password. ... If you need superuser (root) privileges for admin tasks you can switch user temporarily using the command su. ... root and the user you created during installation. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: dpkg-reconfigure of xserver-xorg creates problem for users!
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Recomendations - becoming a C soldier.