Re: host aliases

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 03:44, Celejar wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:58:57 +0100

Thomas Jollans <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 19 March 2007 14:48, Celejar wrote:
I don't, in general, know the IP address. I have a system on my LAN,

^^^^^^^^^

if it's on your LAN, why can't you just give a static internal IP address
? If a DHCP server supplies certain dynamic information (name servers and
such), maybe it can be configured to map a MAC to an IP or something ?

I do indeed have my router / dhcp server configured to assign a
specific IP address to the system, (recognized by its MAC address), as
you suggest. The problem is that I also access the same system over the
internet via dynamic DNS, and the public IP address (actually, that of
the router / gateway - I'm doing port forwarding) is not generally
known.

So why can't you access it directly ?

  • Re: Manual ethernet settings help needed.
    ... in a loss of network between the Mac and the router. ... I could still access the router for admin of course. ... You are not picking an IP address that the DHCP server is trying to ... The mac is right if your IP addresses are over 172.x.x.x, ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: protecting DHCP servers
    ... could ask whoever does maintain your router if they already have them ... You could also try filtering by MAC address. ... You could also try asking in the mailing list for your DHCP server; ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Restricting DHCP services by MAC address
    ... >I used iptables rules to ACCEPT requests to the DHCP server only from ... >the known MAC addressand this works fine for workstations on the ... >multiple subnets across a router the DHCP request packet comes through ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Can I do this??? Assign IP addr from Mac addr
    ... If your router has a built-in DHCP server, this would most likely do a ... It remembers which MAC got which address and reassign it, ... If the DHCP server in your router is highly configurable, ... Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • RE: Restricting DHCP services by MAC address
    ... Restricting DHCP services by MAC address ... Also in your router be sure you have your helper addresses pointing to ... I used iptables rules to ACCEPT requests to the DHCP server only from ...
    (RedHat)