Re: host aliases

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 03:44, Celejar wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:58:57 +0100

Thomas Jollans <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 19 March 2007 14:48, Celejar wrote:
I don't, in general, know the IP address. I have a system on my LAN,

^^^^^^^^^

if it's on your LAN, why can't you just give a static internal IP address
? If a DHCP server supplies certain dynamic information (name servers and
such), maybe it can be configured to map a MAC to an IP or something ?

I do indeed have my router / dhcp server configured to assign a
specific IP address to the system, (recognized by its MAC address), as
you suggest. The problem is that I also access the same system over the
internet via dynamic DNS, and the public IP address (actually, that of
the router / gateway - I'm doing port forwarding) is not generally
known.

So why can't you access it directly ?