Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

On 4/4/07, Wei Chen <wchenhk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 08:33:49PM +0800, Wei Chen wrote:
>> Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
>>> So why not do both? Assuming that all your hardware runs under Etch,
>>> have a good etch setup that "just works", on one set of
>>> partitions/drives. Put /home on its own partition. Put Lenny on its
>>> own set of partitions. Then you can:
>>> Boot Etch and run etch's apps to get work done.
>>> Boot Etch and run Lenny's apps in a chroot to test out new
>>> features. This is simpler than compiling newer versions from
>>> source.
>>> Boot Lenny to see how its working.
>>> The first two can be done concurrently by different users.
>> I've never done it. I always set only one partition on the disk and put
>> everything in it whenever it is possible. I know there is chroot jail
>> and one can put a program in it (and copy all shared libraries that it
>> depends) to run. I've also heard (a little) of debootstrap using which
>> one can run a whole Debian operating system in a chroot jail. But I have
>> never had a chance to try those things. :)
> Since you said you sometimes like to play, now's your chance.
I found that "chroot" can only be run by root. Why cannot it be run as a
normal user?

From the Wikipedia page on chroot:
"Only the root user can perform a chroot. This is intended to prevent
users from putting a setuid program inside a specially-crafted chroot
jail (for example, with a fake /etc/passwd file) that would fool it
into giving out privileges. It also, however, prevents non-root users
from using the chroot mechanism to create sandboxes of their own."

Also see the schroot package.

> I _always_ put /home on its own partition if nothing else.
I do not put /home on a separate partition because I never know how much
space I need for personal files and how much space I need for system
files. If I have another physical disk, I'd rather put backups on it.

I used to have that problem. But then I learnt about lvm and I now set
it up everytime, even on single disk systems, so that I have the
flexibility of being able to resize everything later.

  • Re: Need advice on setting of an SSH server for untrusted users
    ... > I've just set up an ssh server so that my customers can download code ... I've set up ssh so that it requires rsa authentication. ... There is a patch for openssh that will cause it to do a chroot like ... The issue with a chroot jail for ssh is that you have to hand-roll the ...
  • Re: Linux chroot
    ... chroot jail natively. ... Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers ...
  • Re: migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA
    ... it on a new disk sdb in such a way that when the new disk is ... if sda and sdb are identical I use dd) of the old sda, ... and then inside the chroot I mount what i need: ...
  • RE: Public Web server Help
    ... > that CHROOT may help lock users in. ... I heard chroot jail from a number of people. ... Will a SSHd chroot jail work differently then a 'normal' chroot jail? ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
  • Re: SSH and restricting to a chroot jail
    ... chroot to the desired directory. ... chdir to the home directory within the chroot jail. ... the jail and be used as the users default shell. ... or the entry in /etc/passwd should have the UID ...