Re: pros/cons of installing from source

Biggest contenders for optimisation are the kernel and libc. Most applications are mainly a series of calls to these two so won't directly benefit from by being compiled with *magical* flags.
Debian supply both optimised kernels and to a lesser degree optimised libc packages. Use of SIMD extensions etc is something totally different, and compiler flags aren't going to do all that much there really...

Think of all the dolphins that will die because of the electricity wasted pointlessly compiling packages. ^^

  • Re: OT: missing C99 math pieces in gcc 4.x on Solaris 8 (sparc)
    ... interface with the kernel in areas where changes occur. ... Well, if the functions are provided by the compiler *AND* the OS, ... then what do the OS-supplied programs use to call the kernel? ... version of the libc that THEN calls the OS libc if necessary. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: make buildworld CFLAGS -O2 and -fomit-frame-pointer or not? Gentooist confused
    ... Err, that sentence looks wrong to me upon re-reading, but I think you get ... kernel does things that don't go well with too much optimisation. ... Besides, the system compiler cannot easily be changed, so we're stuck ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: C++ syntax without C++
    ... C++ optimisation brings different problems: ... But both C and C++ are very inefficient if the compiler is ... it will do as the programmer expects. ... such bugs with more optimising compilers. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Use of TM mechanisms for OoO speculation recovery?
    ... variable accesses by subroutines that limit compiler optimizations? ... To summarise, the worst ... The routine side effect attributes describe how it accessed any ... they enable dynamically conditional optimisation. ...
    (comp.arch)
  • Re: RAD vs. performance
    ... abstractions that will be there, whereas my compiler can optimize them ... Usually this doesn't matter, though. ... I'd say the same thing about your premature optimisation ...
    (comp.lang.misc)