Re: Debian Etch can not startx

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 04:45:30 -0000
rocky <rocky2winnie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey,

I got a very old PC which was purchased 6 years ago. I use Debian
netinstall CD installed the base Debian etch system. I have been
trying to install basic GUI on it. Therefore I execute the following
command:[QUOTE]#aptitude update
aptitude install twm x-window-system[/QUOTE]

I was asked for some questions regarding to my hardware. I was not
quite sure whether my answer is right because I'm quite new to
computer hardware and I have no means to find the manuals for the old
PC.

[...]

Thanks a lot in advance!

I suggest to boot from a live CD (Knoppix, for example), and watch the
output carefully during the boot process. This is a good way to know
more about your hardware since it tests everything, and displays some
useful information, including refresh rates of your monitor and much
more.

--
Szia:
Nyizsa.

  • Debian Etch can not startx
    ... netinstall CD installed the base Debian etch system. ... trying to install basic GUI on it. ... PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse" ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re:
    (Debian-User)
  • Re:
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Migrating system to new PC
    ... with this and that hardware. ... If you compile your own kernel for specific hardware then install a ... stock kernel before swapping the HDD. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: install debian without screen (on guruplug)