Re: Some ALSA apps stopped working

Thanks for the suggestions, Nigel.

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Thursday 28 June 2007 12:08, Chris Lale wrote:
Some of my Etch sound apps have stopped working: Audacity, RealPlayer 10,
XMMS. Others continue to work OK: gxine, mplayer, VLC Media Player.

Hi Chris. Is this [...] an existing install, and some have just stopped
working? [...]

Yes. The apps have stopped working on my desktop machine.

[...]
Seems like something has grabbed the soundcard, and won't let go. You could
try disabling ESD, Gnomes sound daemon, if you're using Gnome, or aRTs sound
server if you're using KDE. They are often responsible for this sort of
problem.

Both esd and arts are disabled and there are no processes for either.

I can fix XMMS by changing the output plugin from OSS to ALSA (right-click
-> Options -> Preferences -> Output Plugin. This should not be necessary -
my Etch laptop works perfectly through ALSA with the Output Plugin set to
OSS.

I can fix RealPlayer and Audacity by installing alsa-oss and running them
from a terminal using "aoss realplay" and "aoss audacity". I am sure that
this should not be necessary either.

I always install alsa-oss as a matter of course, and didn't think that
RealPlayer would work without it, as it's an OSS app. Same goes for Audacity
IIRC.

The above fixes work for the affected desktop machine. On my laptop alsa-oss is
not installed. Nevertheless, Audacity loads and plays files. I have installed
realplayer and
it worked first time.

Does running ps auxw show anything using the sound. Some daemon or other?

No oss or arts daemons. Nothing else related to sound that I can see.

Over to you.

Both machines have Etch up to date.

The laptop has /dev/dsp, the affected desktop does not. Perhaps this device is
needed by alsa for the affected applications? I tried to create the device with

# cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV -v sound

but the command created the devices in /dev/.static/dev/ because udev is active.
Both machines have udev. Is there another way to create /dev/dsp?

--
Chris.

  • Re: XP update loses sound card
    ... I assume you tried a forced install of a soundcard? ... should try the sound card driver from Toshiba ... The WINMM WDM Audio driver is out of the list now. ... The sound is enabled and uninstalling the Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: frequent reboots
    ... Sound Drivers. ... To install the driver, save any unsaved work and close all applications ... option and save it to your folder under Windows where you file your drivers. ... "thecreator" wrote: ...
  • Re: XP update loses sound card
    ... I assume you tried a forced install of a soundcard? ... should try the sound card driver from Toshiba ... The WINMM WDM Audio driver is out of the list now. ... The sound is enabled and uninstalling the Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: can someone please help me get this ausio chip working?
    ... >> night or something and it has working sound, ... >> it much nicer then mandrake for how good the GUI looks and how smooth ... >> the pc which has the audigy platinum card. ... i can't install everything like i want to. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: XP update loses sound card
    ... I have tried selecting and installing all sound hardware from the select ... Maybe there is something I missed with drivers during ... Did you try a forced install, so ad new hardware -> ... I have been out of sound for months. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)