Re: Eeek?! smbmount is deprecated?!

On Jul 10, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Kent West wrote:
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> sudo mount -t cifs -o user=westk // faculty/web mnt
Password: <--- for the sudo command
Password:
mount error 112 = Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> smbmount //faculty/web mnt -o username=westk
Password:

westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> ls mnt
Network Trash Folder public_html

So this syntax doesn't work.

From what I've seen elsewhere, I've come to the conclusion that mounting using a NETBIOS name is broken in cifs. Using an IP address or DNS name seems to work better.

    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Re: deprecated smbmount --> mount.cifs
    ... mount.cifs kernel mount options ... mount error 5 = Input/output error ... Refer to the mount.cifsmanual page ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Continued ancestry of Andrew Russell, 15th Duke of Bedford
    ... As to me working "smarter" you could be a little more specific, as I have no idea to what specific you refer. ... Continued ancestry of Andrew Russell, 15th Duke of Bedford ... To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to GEN-MEDIEVAL-requ....@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (soc.genealogy.medieval)
  • Re: [OT] port 53
    ... If you are serving DNS requests, ... sm01@stt008:~$ host 128.63.2.53 ... 53.2.63.128.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer h.root-servers.net. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Mounting of USB flash drives - observed strangeness
    ... The second is physically a laptop whose install was done in "non-expert" mode accepting all defaults. ... I wish to refer to it in the same manner on all debian machines. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)