Re: dpkg doesn't show newer kernel packages available?

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 02:16:37PM -0400, H.S. wrote:

Hello,

How come I cannot see newer kernel packages available with dpkg:
$> dpkg -l linux-image-*

doesn't list kernels 2.6.2* at all. However, I can get some hits if I
try to install such a package:

So what am I missing with dpkg?

dpkg -l lists info for debs it knows about, ie. installed ones. It
knows nothing about apt repositories. Apt is a layer above dpkg. Apt
fetches the debs and calls dpkg once for each deb in the correct order.
Apt keeps track of the dependencies in this case (dpkg also checks that
dependencies are met before install).

Doug.

  • Re: Synaptic v/s apt-get
    ... > Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman wrote: ... >>Synaptic on my machines for package managment. ... > It seems to indicate that synaptic requires apt for its backend processing. ... I think, it is based on APT technique, better then dpkg. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: dpkg doesnt show newer kernel packages available?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04
    ... Here you're asking apt for available packages ... Amd here you're asking dpkg for a list of installed packages. ... attempting explicitly installing it: ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Remove unwanted, orphaned files and dependencies
    ... This is the low-level package tool that all the apt tools ... Maybe you didn't mean it this way, but dpkg does indeed do dependency ... I think it's more accurate to say dpkg only handles files (be it .deb ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: how to check whether a package has been installed
    ... rickmlinux:~# dpkg -s apt Package: apt ...
    (Debian-User)