Re: dialup modem connection

Install pon

Then install pppconfig and run that as root

Then if you are already as user added to dip it will all just work.

I am still on dialup and about to move onto satellite broadband
because there is no other broadband option. One of the joys of living
in the bush.

Be well,
Charlie

Thanks Charlie. Installing pppconfig worked. I wonder why kppp
doesn't have this as a dependency.

I live in the big city, where the majority have high-speed, via phone or
cable. I'm finding that my 56K modem is working fine -- better than I
remember 56K modems working (perhaps because there is less dialup
traffic.) Good to try high-speed though, for running webservers and
stuff.

Anyway, thanks again.

Mark

  • Re: kppp not working after upgrade
    ... It connects to the modem, and dials, but it then ... gives an error 1 (pppd error that apparently means "An immediately fatal ... Any suggestions on how I can fix kppp? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Hash Sum mismatch......
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: startx + ~/.xsession and no ~/.xinitrc, results in reduced functionality (xfce4, sid)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: KDE doesnt connect to HAL
    ... On Tuesday 11 December 2007 22:55, Charlie wrote: ... And /usr/sbin/hald (which is part of the hal package) ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)