Re: Opinions XFS

On 08/03/2007 10:37 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
--- El Vie 03 Ago 2007, michael@xxxxxxxxx encontró un teclado y tipeó lo siguiente:
mi: XFS and grub do not work nicely together, therefore you'll need /boot mi: mounted with EXT3, everything else can be XFS, even / .
mi:

And What about lilo?

Most probably, LILO will work with any filesystem that Linux can use because LILO creates a load map that allows the LILO bootloader to operate independently of the filesystem.

I haven't tested it, but I can't see any reason why LILO wouldn't work with XFS or any other filesystem. Just remember to always do "/sbin/lilo" after any changes to /etc/lilo.conf, the kernel, message file, splash image, or any other file that LILO needs to boot.

  • [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
    ... So, because grub is broken, XFS is no longer supported as a boot partition by Novell/SuSE. ... Try Lilo instead. ... Thus no ever sees the problem grub has with XFS, they simply use the more primitive, but more reliable 'lilo' bootloader. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
    ... New and casual users will want to put everything in 1 ... Make it xfs and lilo, ... fsck, and if they power off their system, they won't corrupt ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: kernel BUG at mm/filemap.c:332!
    ... its a clue - all metadata I/O in XFS goes though the ... > kernel with lilo. ... Unfortunetly lilo stuck in a fsynccall after writing ... looks like a default mkfs then? ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
    ... The issue was Grub not being able to write to the root directory ... if it is formatted as an XFS partition. ... The Ubuntu installer automatically uses lilo in the case where the ... you to read the lilo and xfs boot sections but I see they have changed ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Opinions XFS
    ... I've had power cuts on XFS systems and I've never lost any data that wasn't in the process of being written. ... In any filesystem you're going to lose data in a power cut, and there aren't a lot of situations where a truncated file is useful to me anyway, so I don't generally worry too much about that, as long as the filesystem itself stays intact. ... I kind of shy away from ReiserFS now, partly because it seems fragile, and partly because of doubts about its future -- ReiserFS v3 is no longer being maintained, v4 is incompatible, and the original designer is no longer involved with the project due to unrelated legal problems. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)