Re: How do you unmount all your drives

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Sid Arth wrote:
Hi, is there a command I can use that unmounts all unnecessary drives?
And what command can I use to just unmount one drive?

What do you mean by unnecessary? If you do not want to access files in
those drives, you can unmount them with:

# umount /path/to/mount/point

That will unmount just one drive. You can issue the command:

# umount -a

to attempt to unmount *all* the drives. Note that the root filesystem
cannot be unmounted.

If you don't want a particular drive to be mounted at the next reboot,
edit the file '/etc/fstab' and comment out the corresponding lines.

If you are just looking for a way to suppress all the drive icons on
your desktop (assuming you are using gnome) issue the command:

$ gconftool -s /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible -t bool false

hth,
Rajkiran

Thanks, I didnt want to unmount my filesystem, but its good to know that
it cant be unmounted.

  • Re: Unable to shutdown
    ... transition from standby to ready. ... something that requires media access. ... drives. ... with the LED staying off and the unmount not completing. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Mounting USB Floppy Drive in Lucid
    ... I'm having an issue when trying to mount my USB floppy drive. ... I then tried installing usbmount which worked, but changed all the permissions on devices and their files to root - not only on the floppy, but on usb flash drives as well, so I uninstalled that. ... I have to either run nautilus as root or run sudo /umount/usbfloppy from the command line to unmount. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Medion HDDrive 2 Go (500GB E-sata/usb2)
    ... hardware" systray icon to unmount a 'sleeping' Medion HDDrive 2 Go, ... expecting the process to hang. ... Whether the successful unmounting of the sleeping Medion had anything ... I have to report that when I came to unmount the other 3 drives some ten ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: How do you unmount all your drives
    ... And what command can I use to just unmount one drive? ... If you do not want to access files in those drives, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)