Re: How do you unmount all your drives

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Sid Arth wrote:
Hi, is there a command I can use that unmounts all unnecessary drives?
And what command can I use to just unmount one drive?

What do you mean by unnecessary? If you do not want to access files in
those drives, you can unmount them with:

# umount /path/to/mount/point

That will unmount just one drive. You can issue the command:

# umount -a

to attempt to unmount *all* the drives. Note that the root filesystem
cannot be unmounted.

If you don't want a particular drive to be mounted at the next reboot,
edit the file '/etc/fstab' and comment out the corresponding lines.

If you are just looking for a way to suppress all the drive icons on
your desktop (assuming you are using gnome) issue the command:

$ gconftool -s /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible -t bool false

hth,
Rajkiran

Thanks, I didnt want to unmount my filesystem, but its good to know that
it cant be unmounted.