Re: naive bind question

On 20 Oct 2007 17:20:16 GMT, Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm working through an old-ish book on web programming. It has several
pages of instructions on installing and running bind8 for use on a
standalone computer. I just used aptitude to install bind9, and
without any additional effort I think it's working. ps aux shows the
named daemon, and I can browse the web no problems. Is that all there
is to it? My browser seems to be a little snappier, without the usual
lookup times, but that could be wishful thinking.

I don't think bind is set up to even do caching out of the box, but I
could be wrong. You can use the command line utility dig to see what
your name server is doing. See dig's manual page for more info.

Cheers,
Kelly

  • naive bind question
    ... I'm working through an old-ish book on web programming. ... pages of instructions on installing and running bind8 for use on a ... standalone computer. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: sarge freezes after failure of raid disk, incurring fs corruption on unrelated disk
    ... while installing an etch system -- and eventually I came to suspect the ... Is it common, that a failure of a raid disk leads to a system freeze, ... client processes freeze next time they try to access the NFS volume. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian vs. the Eee PC
    ... the pre-installed Xandros operating system ... Xandros-Linux powered laptop to be worth the price. ... Is installing it easy, hard? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • AW: Backing up files
    ... Im Auftrag von Doug Paquette ... I am installing some mods to my phpbb message board and I have been told to ... "backup" my stuff before I install these mods incase something should go ... To unsubscribe, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Installation on Intel Core i7
    ... A horizontal cursor flashes means nothing to me... ... installing you should be OK with hard drive. ... but I downloaded from AMD64 version of Ubuntu ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject ...
    (Debian-User)