Re: OT: laser printer: HL-5250DN or another one?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: OT: laser printer: HL-5250DN or another one?

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 05:53:00PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:

My point (which I did not make very well) was that a printer with
Postscript capability and a built-in ethernet interface typically is
well worth the price, because of the time savings which accumulate
over the years. Configuring Linux for a non-Postscript printer and
making a parallel- or usb-interface printer available to other
machines on the LAN can be very expensive, if your time is worth
anything.

Takes me about half an hour if the driver for the printer is in gs-gpl
or gs-esp. I use standard lpd and apsfilter. If I need fancy access
control then I use LPRng. If you don't mind brining in cupsys, you can
use LPRng, foomatic-printfilters, and foomatic-GUI and do the setup that
way. I've never done a full CUPS-only setup; never had the need.

Then, its just opening the lpr port in the server's firewall.

Doug.

    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Evolution 2.8
    ... (I found a post that says its not worth the trouble, rather install ... To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Compact flash repair
    ... Sven Arvidsson wrote: ... This might be worth a try, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Drive failure rates (was Re: DO NOT BUY Western Digital "Green" Drives (also present in WD "Elem
    ... Now, another factor, the drive failure rates are probably way understated in the general populace because the cost of the drives are so low and the effort to destroy personal data and everything else that goes into RMA is just not worth the effort. ... In times gone past, replacing a faulty drive was more expensive and the RMA process was worth it, but today it is quite often not work the trouble on the cheaper range of drives -- hence failure rates would surely go heavily under reported. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: linux-image-2.6.16 not able to purge?