Re: OT: laser printer: HL-5250DN or another one?

"H.S." <hs.samix@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hello,

Anybody have experience with this printer:
Brother HL-5250DN
(http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=HL5250DN).

I have been asked to choose a B/W laser printer to buy for a very small
office. I don't expect it to print more than around 10 pages per day. I
have also been looking at HL-2070N, but duplex printing feature in
HL-5250DN attracted me to it more.

Any comments on its functionality from Linux? linuxprinting.org says it
works pefectly. What about its durability?

I've had the HL-5250DN for several months and have printed about 500
pages on it. I like the easy ethernet connection and the ability to
print duplex. It works well with both Linux and Windows computers on
my home network.

It was no trouble configuring cupsys for it.

It seems to require a lot of power at the beginning of a print job; it
dims the lights a little.

Before I used a top-loading HP Laserjet 5L. This printer, although it
had some problems with loading, had a somewhat more solid feel than
the Brother.

I'm satisfied with the Brother.

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: possible printer replacements
    ... seen at a local liquidation store the following laser printers available ... They are the Brother ... these printers to work under Linux? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Printer brand recommendations
    ... back because Brother says they do not provide phone support for Linux. ... They used to have an email address for linux, but a query there produced no ... Following a comment on the net I tried the pxlmono driver and that is ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • possible printer replacements
    ... I have a HP 990C working just fine under debian however I have seen at a local liquidation store the following laser printers available at a very good price and it may be time to upgrade. ... They are the Brother hl-2170, Brother hl-2140 and the Samsung scx-4300. ... According to the requirements lists software is available for windows products and Macs but nothing for Linux. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Why are there not more using Linux?