Re: going from etch to unstable (sid)

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 01:47:55PM +0000, Bogdan Marian wrote:
Hey,

The title says it all :). How do i proceed if i want to upgrade from
Etch to Sid? Of course, burning a Sid image and doing a from scratch
install is out of the question... I'm looking for another way

Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

I would say: If you have to ask *this* question, then the answer would
be: Not recommended.

Why are you wanting to "jump" to Sid? There is no way to go back to Etch
if you don't like it.

If you just want newer software, check out http://debian.backports.org
(or something like that) but then, by definition, your system is no
longer stable. 8-(

--
Chris.
======

  • Re: Email programs that work.
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Attracting newbies (Was Booting Debian/testing fails)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Change in mondo behavior
    ... With the version that is currently in Etch + Sid there is a change in behavior from previous versions. ... That makes things more complicated because if things are mounted they are also archived by mondo, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problem with: #include
    ... I assume that you are using the Xlib.h from the Sid or Etch libx11-dev ... XGetOMValuesnear the line numbers printed in the compiler error. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: catch-22 upgrade (FYI)
    ... Etch (or Sid). ... I initially set out to upgrade to Etch, ... When trying to install the 2.6.15 kernel image, ...
    (Debian-User)