Re: Apt-Get or Aptitude

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 11:50:37AM +0100, Dal wrote:
Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 12:14:18AM -0600, Nate Duehr <nate@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
was heard to say:

On Oct 28, 2007, at 11:06 AM, Daniel Burrows wrote:

I'd say the main difference is that apt-get is a command-line tool,
whereas aptitude is an interactive tool that can be driven from the
command-line.

I would disagree. Aptitude supports command-line operation as well as
interactive.

What I meant by that is that the project's goals and focus ...

Aptitude user interface is really great. When I started with debian there
was just dselect and I don't think that was user friendly.
Just aptitude and synaptic too make debian easier for normal users. Anyway
it's pity that aptitude doesn't (maybe I just can't find it) source
download. Something like apt-get source package.

Anyway it has really better problems-with-packages solving :)

yeah, Daniel, great work!

just want to ask the same question as above as regards build-dep? Will
that become a part of aptitude in the future or will it remain in
apt-get with the two packages maintained in parallel?

thanks for your work on debian!