Re: Apt-Get or Aptitude

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:25:02 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:03:42PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:13:23 -0500
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:06:59 -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

I'd say the main difference is that apt-get is a command-line tool,
whereas aptitude is an interactive tool that can be driven from the
command-line.

Are there still command line usages of apt-get that are not
exactly the same in aptitude? And has apt-get started keeping track of

The classic examples that arise periodically on the list are apt-get's
'build-dep' and 'source' actions, which apparently have no obvious
aptitude versions.

this bothers me, since I mostly use aptitude. When I need a build-dep
or source, I'm concerned that later aptitude may wipe something
inadvertantly. Do you know if there are plans to implement these
commands into aptitude? Or will apt-get always remain, so that its not
a problem?

I really don't know; I have never built anything (except kernels and
modules with kernel-package) from Debian source packages. Why not ask
Daniel directly?

Celejar

  • Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: package management begins to annoy me
    ... Yes, you're using aptitude. ... It gives more information than apt-get and, as this poster ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Packages temporarily disappearing from Testing/Lenny
    ... I use aptitude exclusively, and I've never managed to get it to pull ... in recommended packages. ... aptitude is not 'apt-get' but I'd hope much of the ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: stable to testing: aptitude wants strange things
    ... apt-get turns out to be mostly the same. ... Now both apt-get and aptitude want to remove aptitude. ... The following packages will be REMOVED: ... modconf openssl python-central python-minimal python-support ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Apt-Get or Aptitude
    ... Aptitude supports command-line operation as well as ... been on interactivity. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)