Re: Debian on Core2Duo 64bit

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:29:35PM +0100, P?l Cs?nyi wrote:
2007/10/31, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras <ghostbar38@xxxxxxxxx>:
Semih Gokalp wrote:
Hi.

Which debian dist should I install on core2duo 64 bit pcu? x86 or amd64 ?

amd64.

amd64 is not only for the AMD processors?

I have an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU6320 @ 1.86GHz

Should I install too the amd64 Debian distribution on this system?

As long as you don't want to run one of the (couple of) third-party apps
that need i396 in Etch without also putting in an i386 chroot. Note,
that many 32-bit apps will actually run in amd64 with the 32-bit libs
package. I don't know about acroread since I don't use it. Iceweasel
32-bit with flashplayer needed a chroot. A chroot isn't much to set up
or maintain.

Doug.