Re: Apt-Get or Aptitude

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 09:35:02PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 08:19:58PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 09:25:02AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:

this bothers me, since I mostly use aptitude. When I need a build-dep
or source, I'm concerned that later aptitude may wipe something
inadvertantly. Do you know if there are plans to implement these
commands into aptitude? Or will apt-get always remain, so that its not
a problem?

aptitude shouldn't wipe out packages installed with apt-get, period
full stop.

you know, that wasn't fair of me. I was once concerned about that
problem, but have subsequently learned that it really doesn't
happen. So i apologise if that came across wrong.

No, I just come down hard on this meme because it seems to have taken
on a life of its own and I'd like to squash it before it grows up into a
full-blown urban legend.

Daniel