Re: problems replacing fam by gamin (was: going from XFCE to Gnome?)

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 12:54 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 03:24:28 -0700, Michael M. wrote:

[...]

I found a few problems on my system (Lenny/testing) after I replaced fam
with gamin:

1) Menus in OO.org took many seconds to open -- at least 15, perhaps
20. This was extremely irritating and made OO.org a pain to use.

2) The GNOME trash applet no longer updated to show when there were
items in the trash. I could no longer empty the trash from the panel.
Not such a big deal, but I typically have most windows on most desktops
maximized so I don't usually make use of any icons on the desktop. So I
found it convenient to empty the trash from the panel.

3) Nautilus was considerably slower to respond to any attempts to open
a new window. The problem wasn't as severe as the problem with OO.org

These seem to be pretty serious problems, worthy of being reported as
bugs. I cannot comment any further on these issues since I don't use
Gnome.

I wondered about that, but then I didn't know (heh, I almost typed
"gnow") whether they were GNOME bugs, OO.org bugs, or gamin bugs. I
never know what to do when it's the combination of packages that present
a problem, rather than a specific package.

Restoring fam and removing gamin put things back to normal. But the
reason I installed gamin in the first place is that exaile requires it,
so in the end I decided to remove a lot of GNOME and am using Openbox
instead. OO.org works fine with gamin, as long as you aren't using it
under GNOME. If you use it under GNOME, it appears you need fam, or
will face some major irritation. I still use the GNOME panel, mainly
because I love Tomboy and find a few other features of that panel
appealing, but I no longer use the Trash applet nor the trash bin at
all. I'm no longer using Nautilus, though it is still installed.

I think it is unlikely that such obvious problems would go unnoticed by
the (Debian-)Gnome community. Could you be missing some recommended
packages? You could run

aptitude search '!~i(~dgnome|~dgtk|~dopenoffice)~RBrecommends:~i'

and check if anything suspicious turns up, for example something related
to gnome-vfs. (This search command should find all not installed
packages which have "gnome", "gtk" or "openoffice" in their description
and which would satisfy a currently unfulfilled recommendation of some
installed package.)

I regularly audit the recommendations using aptitude. The only problem
I could find was aptitude complaining about fam being uninstalled, which
of course I already knew.

In any case I've changed things all around again and have moved up to
unstable. I used to think that one day I would find the *perfect*
distro, configuration, and set of apps for me, but now I've realized
that the whole thing is perpetually a work-in-progress. :-)

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions

  • problems replacing fam by gamin (was: going from XFCE to Gnome?)
    ... The GNOME trash applet no longer updated to show when there were ... I could no longer empty the trash from the panel. ... reason I installed gamin in the first place is that exaile requires it, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: going from XFCE to Gnome?
    ... to leave fam uninstalled, thus keeping gamin intact on your system, for ... both XFCE and Gnome to use. ... recommended packages. ... The GNOME trash applet no longer updated to show when there were ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: going from XFCE to Gnome?
    ... to leave fam uninstalled, thus keeping gamin intact on your system, for ... both XFCE and Gnome to use. ... recommended packages. ... with gamin: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: going from XFCE to Gnome?
    ... to leave fam uninstalled, thus keeping gamin intact on your system, for ... both XFCE and Gnome to use. ... with gamin: ... The GNOME trash applet no longer updated to show when there were ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [kde] getting started
    ... They should still find their icons, they run independent from KDE. ... Right enough, when running Gnome, some kind of on-the-fly icon ... Konqueror although I am still using Gnome at present. ... folder and Trash icon when dragging and dropping. ...
    (KDE)