Re: resolv.conf question

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 13:10:25 -0400
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 08:48:06AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West
wrote:
On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 05:20:56PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
I'm running Etch. My resolv.conf starts with the line:

# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

and contains entries that I want to have new different
values. I want to change the values in a way that last
through a reboot, and I'd like to do it by editting
a file using vim. What is the file that is the
authoritative source of nameserver addresses?

I found this:
http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerConfigurationSpecification

but couldn't tell from a quick read where those configs were
supposed to go. Most of the way down the page it referes to DNS
settings.

I don't use NM, so I leave implementing it up to you ;)

Or, the OP could get rid of NM and perhaps install the resolvconf
package (that takes resolvconf hints from /etc/network/interfaces
and ppp).

Doug.

Perhaps I didn't understand everything, but I decided I didn't need
resolvconf. I chose, instead, to use resolv.conf and to configure
everything myself.

--
Raquel

  • Re: why does resolv.conf change?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: why does resolv.conf change?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: resolv.conf question
    ... # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit! ... and contains entries that I want to have new different ... package (that takes resolvconf hints from /etc/network/interfaces and ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: resolv.conf question
    ... and contains entries that I want to have new different ... authoritative source of nameserver addresses? ... the OP could get rid of NM and perhaps install the resolvconf ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: A lot of problems with debian sid on a Notebook
    ... This will not remove "recovery" entries for installed kernels. ... to edit GRUB 2 configurations or directly edit the grub.cfg. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)