Re: resolv.conf question (???)

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 05:25:14PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 02:45:25PM -0700, Raquel wrote:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 15:13:55 -0400
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So resolvconf might be useful say, on a laptop where one might be
connected by ethernet at the office, wireless during lunch and then
dialup at home?

Or you have a main box that usually connects to the net with ppp and a
desktop box that normally connects via the main box. As a back-up plan
in case something happens to the main box, move the external modem to
the desktop and use it as the firewall/internet access and the main box
can access the net through the desktop.

Sort of a unique case on my part, but it is part of my
bare-metal-recovery plan and is tested.

Thanks, all. I had looked into resolveconf earlier. It was given an
enthusiastic recommendation by Martin Krafft in his book, but when I
looked at some info on the web, I got the impression that it was a
back-end thing that was only called by other programs.

NetworkManager is installed as part of the initial installation of
desktop Etch, so I'm reluctant to remove it without first learning a
lot more than I currently know about networking. When I google it, I
learn that it is intended for managing simple single-user networking
issues which isn't exactly my problem, so maybe I do need to remove
it. But I tried, and something I did killed the computer so it
wouldn't reboot. (I'm writing this on a different box while I do
reinstall of Etch on that box.)

I think I'll want to start a new thread with a rather different thrust
when that box starts functioning again.

It would have been installed if you chose the 'desktop' task to bring in
gnome.

If you want a good learning experience, try installing and not brining
in any tasks. You get a minimal base install without a 'network
manager' with network setup the semi-old-fashioned-debian way.

Doug.

  • Re: Help with dot net problem
    ... > I just installed Norton Ghost 9 on my two networked computers. ... > part of the installation on each machine, I had to install the dot net ... > networking to get the machines set up. ... This error indicates that you are falling foul of the IRPStackSize bug. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: TCP/IP broken for Windows Media Center (XP)
    ... not even in Safe Mode with Networking.. ... the installation requiring a reinstall. ... added LSP entries, ... I notice that you didn't mention scanning for viruses or spyware. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Windows2002XP Home Edition
    ... >I have a Dell Inspiron that came with this ... Finally got laptop to ... >from the original installation. ... Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking) ...
  • Re: "hostname" question during Debian installation
    ... installation is: ... always map back to the hostname even if the main networking is ... /etc/issue but it also doesn't include the hostname either. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Microsoft Tun Miniport - HELP!!!
    ... > have I recently installed the advanced networking option. ... there is something about your networking configuration that triggers its ... installation of software provided by their ISP. ...