Re: Programmers Text Editor

On Nov 5, 2007, at 3:23 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

My vim (not vi) tells me at the bottom of the screen. Right now it
says:

-- INSERT -- 13,66 All

Yeah, that's the case on maybe a third of the systems I use. (For me vi is usually an 'editor of last resort,' used on things like rescue CDs that don't have any other visual editor. So the version I'm using is often a very stripped-down one.)

What about nano? mcedit?

I really wouldn't recommend nano for programming. It lacks some pretty basic functionality, like the ability to quickly skip to the top or bottom of a file.

I've become an Emacs user, but before that I used "joe" pretty religiously. I blame this largely on having been brought up on WordStar. ;)

  • Re: Software For Book Writing
    ... the persons who care about feedom more than about money ... and then let the editor know ... an editor whose submission rules are acceptable. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: OT: mutt/nano spell checking
    ... you'd finished teaching them Vim, there would be not time left for ... I don't have time to teach Linux, C AND a complex editor. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: sources.list
    ... you're using the wrong editor. ... deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main ... deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Re: xemacs and auctex
    ... get C-c C-c not defined. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ... Here are the xemacs packages I am using, as well as the auctex, in case that is helpful. ... Editor and kitchen sink -- compiled elisp su ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Menu program in KDE? SOLVED
    ... I used Alacarte (the gnome menu editor) to restore it an it works. ... And I can successfully add new entries to the menu. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)