Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

On 15:16 Wed 07 Nov , Nate Duehr wrote:

On Nov 7, 2007, at 2:24 PM, John Masters wrote:

On 13:15 Tue 06 Nov , Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
Here's a template where you can fill in your favourites; feel free to
add missing categories:

<big big snip>

Sorry but here's where I unsubscribe for a couple of months while the
same stuff is rehashed as it was a few months ago. Does this totally
unscientific poll have any real use? Apart that is from reigniting the
antediluvian arguments like mutt v emacs, bash v korn etc.

Sheesh... sort by thread, delete key. Not difficult...

Not the point. Why rehash stuff that has been over and over.

There is a method to gauge the popularity of FLOSS apps built into every
Debian installation. If you haven't enabled it yet, do so and eliminate
this totally superfluous 'poll'.

You might have mentioned that it's called "popularity-contest" and can be
found via your favorite package manager. :-)

I thought everybody would know what it is called seeing as it is offered
as an option on install.

Picture yourself standing in a big room with a hundred people all having
different conversations... imaging yelling at the top of your lungs "I'm
tired of hearing that group over there talking about that! I'M LEAVING!"

Think anyone would, a) care?, b) not think you were insane?

That's pretty much the equivalent of what most "I'm leaving the list"
messages amount to. No one cares, we all just shake our heads and say,
"There goes a very troubled person."

Do not presume to psychoanalyse me. I see the Debian Users list as an
invaluable source of information and advice, to which I attempt in my
own small way to contribute. Posts requesting opinions as to which is
the best software/hardware/distro inevitably invite flame wars which
fill my inbox with dross.

--
Regards, John

  • Re: [OT] gob.mx = IE6 only!
    (Debian-User)
  • Running testing? -- read this.
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Top posting vs Bottom posting
    ... of cleaning, i.e., leaving full messages instead of just leaving the ... excerpts of text that provide you with context until you get to the ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: whats your favourite FLOSS?
    (Debian-User)
  • testing system updates: how often?