Re: any pages listing text mode resolutions of video cards?

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 12:26:33AM -0500, Daniel B. wrote:
Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Nov 12, 2007 7:24 AM, Daniel B. <dsb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Nov 11, 2007 7:46 PM, Daniel B. <dsb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been having trouble finding out the text-mode resolutions of
video cards. Does anyone know of a good compilation of that
information?
Here is a list of modes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers

I think any card that supports VESA probably has to support
1280x1024 and 24 bits (see the table higher up on that page)
Actually, I was talking about text-mode resolutions (as I wrote
above), not graphics-mode resolutions.

Ok, I found it in that Wikipedia article:

Modes 264-268 (vesa's numbers, not the kernel's) are text modes.
264 (0108h) is 80x60, 265 (0109h) is 132x25
266 (010Ah) is 132x43, 267 (010Bh) is 132x50
268 (010Ch) is 132x60.

Actually, what I meant was the text-mode resolutions supported by
specific video cards. That is, information usable to choose which
card to get. My old card did 132x60. My new card did 132x44. In
case I buy a new card, I want to know which modes a given card
supports. I haven't been able to find that information. (I haven't
found any compilation for multiple cards; the manufacturer's page
for my new card doesn't mention the text modes.)

So to be clear, you are specifically __not__ wanting to use a
framebuffer which uses graphic mode and is therefore slower.

Doug.

  • [patch 000/176] Video4Linux Updates
    ... Support for em28xx based usb2 boards; ... -Don't enable gpioirq until after card probe. ... -Some changes to allow compiling cx88 and saa7134 without ... -Fixed settings for MSI Vox USB 2.0 ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Help needed in rec.audio.pro
    ... > Rewire you can add even more to your environment (like Reason, FL Studio, ... Linux also has LADSPA and some VST's work as well. ... I have that card (sblive! ... Emu support seems to exist now. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Help needed in rec.audio.pro
    ... > Rewire you can add even more to your environment (like Reason, FL Studio, ... Linux also has LADSPA and some VST's work as well. ... I have that card (sblive! ... Emu support seems to exist now. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: MCE 2006 Wish List
    ... Yep - and almost all of the radio channels available with a Sky Digital ... DVB-S card to receive them without an analogue link in the chain! ... The lack of support for these transmission systems ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: [SLE] Yes I am bitter.
    ... Linux since November") purely because his graphics card isn't supported ... needs a rethink of priorities. ... any more ATI cards until the Linux support is up to par. ...
    (SuSE)