Re: any pages listing text mode resolutions of video cards?

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 12:26:33AM -0500, Daniel B. wrote:
Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Nov 12, 2007 7:24 AM, Daniel B. <dsb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Nov 11, 2007 7:46 PM, Daniel B. <dsb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been having trouble finding out the text-mode resolutions of
video cards. Does anyone know of a good compilation of that
information?
Here is a list of modes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers

I think any card that supports VESA probably has to support
1280x1024 and 24 bits (see the table higher up on that page)
Actually, I was talking about text-mode resolutions (as I wrote
above), not graphics-mode resolutions.
Ok, I found it in that Wikipedia article:

Modes 264-268 (vesa's numbers, not the kernel's) are text modes.
264 (0108h) is 80x60, 265 (0109h) is 132x25
266 (010Ah) is 132x43, 267 (010Bh) is 132x50
268 (010Ch) is 132x60.

Actually, what I meant was the text-mode resolutions supported by
specific video cards. That is, information usable to choose which
card to get. My old card did 132x60. My new card did 132x44. In
case I buy a new card, I want to know which modes a given card
supports. I haven't been able to find that information. (I haven't
found any compilation for multiple cards; the manufacturer's page
for my new card doesn't mention the text modes.)

So to be clear, you are specifically __not__ wanting to use a
framebuffer which uses graphic mode and is therefore slower.

Not necessarily. I'm trying using a framebuffer mode to see how
it is.

However, I'd like to be able to know what text mode a card supports
the next time I buy a video card in case I don't want to use
framebuffer mode.

Daniel
--
Daniel B.
dsb@xxxxxxxxx

  • FYI - Dual CPU, Dual Core, Dual Graphics Card Info
    ... so you have no idea which graph represents which CPU or which core. ... Scalable Link Interface video cards may have been designed to ... Since the 7800 GTX has 2 DVI-I video ports, each card ... My Sony monitor is a 5 year old 21" CRT. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: New Lightwave Workstation
    ... be able to use your PCIe RAID controller you listed, or at least not if you ... install both video cards. ... LW or Modo will use the SLI dual video card configuration. ... effectively have 4 CPUs in your system. ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.lightwave)
  • Re: Installing new Components in an old Computer
    ... I had 4 video cards ready and had drivers for two of them. ... The end of the teeth on each card was about 3/16" past the end of the slot the teeth were supposed to go into. ... PCI - 133MB/sec. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Is this USED system a good deal?
    ... SLI Support HDCP Video Card ... Fan failures, for example. ... Another thing to watch on Nvidia video cards, is failing GPU chips. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Ageia launches PhysX card -- PCI only. Which slot is empty ???
    ... SLI motherboard, dual 7800GTX, X-Fi audio. ... Tell me exactly which slot this card occupies in my desktop PC without ... Should have been PCIe.. ... or in a 'triple space' between the two video cards. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)