Re: any pages listing text mode resolutions of video cards?

Daniel B. <dsb@xxxxxxxxx>:

However, I'd like to be able to know what text mode a card supports
the next time I buy a video card in case I don't want to use
framebuffer mode.

Find a machine with that card, boot from a live CD, give it vga=ask
for a kernel boot parm, and test. I believe that offers a menu of
sorts. This is non-fb mode, btw. This is how we used it before fb
was invented. :-)

Slackware has always had the slickest and smartest, out of the box,
console display mgmt. (font choice config, and not blitzing my chosen
vga= thing with something embedded somewhere in /etc/init.d/* that
does `console_reset` of some sort). I'm still hunting for that in
Debian.

  • Re: Valentines...alone again
    ... How about this year when i send him his card, ... And there could be all sorts of worries too. ... the two main alternatives, I reckon. ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: "nanobsd" prototype
    ... > Feedback of all sorts most welcome! ... And more documentation ... It'd be great to be able to choose, via a parameter, between a 3 slices ... a 128MB CF card should be the minimal media size. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: New laws announced
    ... by all sorts of people as a "security precaution". ... At that point they become a very powerful method of exerting control, ... confiscating her ID card. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Harry Potter and the Morass of Rationality
    ... sorts of differences. ... Arthur even more so. ... Does Card write Bible fanfic? ... "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found, ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: The bouncing debit card
    ... I'm sure they've seen cards bounce before. ... My business card has bounced for all sorts of reasons, ... "have you another card you'd like to try?" ...
    (uk.legal)