Re: Could you recommend file manager that are not based on KDE and GNOME?

Thanks for your advice!
I have tried and been disappointed by gentoo.
I have used File Runner before. It's not as intuitive as Explorer of
Windows.

To me, any interface that's different from Explorer will make me
uncomfortable.

--- Haines Brown <brownh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been looking at FileManagers, and it seems there's some tendency
to rely on two applications, a text-based file manager for daily use
and a GUI application for special purposes. While a purist will
insist
on managing files from a terminal, I've never found that to be
practical.

For a GUI file manager, the one named thumar is often
praised. Midnight Commander (mc) works both text-based and GUI
interface, and I've used FileRunner for years. In none of these cases
do you need a desktop environment.

As for text-based applications, there is clex and MC, but I've been
looking at putting emacs into a file manager mode. Here there seem to
be three choices: a) Norton Commander (nc.el, which uses MC
commands),
Evening Commander (ec.el, which is less complete), and Sunrise
Commander (sunrise-commander.el, which is based on dired
commands). You can even run these emacs modes from a console, as far
as I know, which for me is a big advantage (independent of the X
windows system).

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM

  • Re: creeping consensus
    ... Midnight Commander still does this on Linux...it should, since it claims some descent from Norton Commander for DOS. ... There are other file browsers that support the "commander" interface; in fact the convention of describing file browser style as being either "commander" and/or "explorer" is quite common. ... Having said that, any file browser I've used for years on UNIX, Linux, or Windows allows for the easy designation of source and target directory. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: weired issues of debian squeeze (base system)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Big Function key problem
    ... MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User ... > I recently installed Partition Commander in order to ... > Another problem is that trying to enter safe mode using F8 key is NOT ...
  • [VulnWatch] Buffer Overflow in EF Commander 3.54
    ... Buffer Overflow in EF Commander 3.54 ... the Windows 95/98/Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and Windows XP ... are vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the FTP banner and other areas. ...
    (VulnWatch)
  • Re: debugging app crashes under Vista
    ... The horrid fascination with top-level windows hides ... Commander, a Norton Commander clone, for years and ... At least the preliminary versions of Vista I've seen; ... getting rid of the crap that was using up critical screen real estate, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)