Re: NVIDIA and mplayer now working

On 12/1/07, Paul Cartwright <ale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

~$ uname -a
Linux paulandcilla 2.6.22-3-686 #1 SMP Mon Nov 12 08:32:57 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux

Yeah, every time you update the kernel you have to redo the nvidia
driver for that kernel, it's a hassle, but not too terribly difficult
(I finally got it working with the nvidia in the 'sid' repository) but
I am still using the same kernel (2.6.22-2) that I was using before -
but I do dist-upgrades once a week or so. It should be that
dist-upgrade doesn't automatically upgrade the kernel, but that
depends on whether you install the numbered version explicitly vs. the
'generic' 2.6 package (linux-image-k7 or whatever), AIUI.

running Debian testing.
NOW my NVIDIA driver is working again, and so is mplayer.
so it looks like the fact that the nvidia driver wasn't working also

Yeah, it's good to have the nvidia driver, but things should still
work even with the 'nv' driver. Other than being slower, I hadn't had
problems running vlc or mplayer. Sometimes -vo options help, such as
-vo X11 or other choices. One thing I never got to work right was the
-vo mga/xmga output driver when I had a Matrox G450 card (I gave it
away). That seems to have worked with Mandrake but I never got the mga
driver to work with Debian's mplayer.

  • Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !
    ... The problem was that installing the new kernel killed nvidia from ... -> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fedora 13 - How to blacklist certain updates?
    ... That's because they are Free drivers, while the nVidia drivers are not. ... Uh, what exactly is "PAE"? ... kernel was configured differently, but this is generally not the case ... This driver is supplied by nVidia as a binary blob, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: [opensuse] call for NVIDIA testers of 11.2 kernel update
    ... We are currently having difficulties with the 11.2 kernel update, ... A cursory test here showed that the NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA YMPs ... As this is the manual driver install you will need to rebuild ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: 12.1 prety good now
    ... I need a Suse Nvidia package for the ... Stock kernel will not boot but has that corresponding ... for decent nvidia graphics soon from the nouveau driver. ... My installation procedure for new installation is: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: startx fails with new kernel
    ... the previous kernel. ... The latter will blacklist nouveau driver, ... appropriately for nVidia driver to work. ...
    (Fedora)