Re: Preferred Backup Method?

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 03:21:20PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 12/05/07 10:12, Michael Pobega wrote:
On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 08:29:03PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]
Plain old "date"? No. I prefer `date +%y%m%d.%H%M`.

I'm trying to write a shell script to use tar for backups, but I want to
know; Which directories are nessecary to backup with tar and which
aren't? Obviously /bin, /usr, /home, /boot, /lib, /srv (Where I keep
all of my chroots) and /etc are, but are any of the other directories
mandatory to backup? Or are any of these directories fruitless to
backup?

Did you get the script I attached to the email you replied to? It
works like a champ for me.

I got it, but although that script may work for you it's too particular
of a use; I have a lot of files I need to backup, so it'd be better for
me to backup everything manually myself.

My shell script works, but I keep running out of disc space; Does anyone
know if there's a way I can transfer the file over to my other laptop
once it's done tarring (Effectively removing the need for a /backup dir
on my HDD?) Once I hit 13G on my root partition I run out of room.

My shell script it attached.

--
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they

  • Re: [SLE] Shell backup script
    ... On Wednesday 16 February 2005 17:20, Ken Schneider wrote: ... >> I have a shell script that I use to backup my main computer to hard ... I edited it today to backup another computer ... but just commenting out this section doesn't work well. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: pg_dumpall shell script in bash shell
    ... I am attempting to write a set of automated BASH Shell Scripts ... names of the databases to feed them into a shell script array it feeds ... # These are the variables for use with the backup. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: Preferred Backup Method?
    ... I'm trying to write a shell script to use tar for backups, ... mandatory to backup? ... so pipe it across an ssh link. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Preferred Backup Method?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Preferred Backup Method?