On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 03:47:12AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
Do you realy need 15 partitions on a singel drive?

in some cases it's possible (see below).

However that was not my point: my point in that post was that if I have
to look at a disk that someone gives me [or some old disk of mine, of
the pre-lvm era], and it contains a partition hda16, and I must put it
in a USB external enclosure, then the only thing I see to mount such a
drive is to use the "offset" parameter of mount. And udev (or anything
else I know) is of no help: that was the point of that post.

When one might want to use more than 15 partitions? When using many
vservers/openvz/jails/zones/chroot or the like, and one wants to
separate things (operating system from data, and each vserver from the
other ones), types of filesystems (on Linux: news or mail spool might be
on reiser, operating system on ext3, huge data on xfs, ...), mounting
options for suitable directories (noexec, nosuid, nodev, where
applicable) ...

  • Re: problem with chmod
    ... On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) wrote: ... The question (you did create the mount points, ... shared partitions between operating systems) that I had to use the mkdir ... partitions that are shared with other operating system installations. ...
  • Re: Trying to Mount New 2-Gig Zenstone MP3 Player
    ... and I haven't been able to mount it to save my soul. ... ZEN STONE FAT32 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
  • RE: undo rm deleteing /etc very urgent
    ... I got the HD and connect it as slave HD and mount it then I ... > filesystem /etc was stored on. ... And that is to grab the FC install ... To unsubscribe: -- ...
  • Re: Cant read any DVD, and cant mount the dvd drive
    ... mount: special device /dev/sdc0 does not exist ... I guess I will have some work tomorrow and will change the dvd drives to see ... Modify settings or unsubscribe at: ...
  • Re: USB flash drive not automounting
    ... Then I checked out an SD card in my card reader, and it too was a breeze to ... mount when I finally figured out what device it was. ... Debian is where I want to stay. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...