Re: How do I set up sudo..

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 07:13:03PM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 02:33:17PM -0800, Alou Dialy wrote:
...so that I can use ANY command with it. I tried
ALL=(ALL) ALL but there are still many things that I
cannot do with sudo.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

Shouldn't it be

user ALL=(ALL) ALL

--
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they

In my opinion, you should only use sudo for the few commands that are
necessary to do work on your computer. The key word is "few". If you
want to run all command available, then su to root or login as root.
Running any command with root privileges, as I think you want to do, is
a potential security risk. If nothing else, you will be susceptible to
the late-nite blunders.

----
Just my 2 cents worth...
Alexander J. M.
Linux 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP Wed Oct 3 00:12:50 UTC 2007 i686

  • Re: Apple recommending anti-virus software for Macs?
    ... > To be ultra-safe with the 'rm' command, ... Not a bad idea for root, It would drive me nuts in my user account. ... downloads directory and executing it. ... That I type an EOF is a trivial difference versus 'sudo' exiting ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: [kde] su identification
    ... assumes that you wish to invoke the root account and will demand Root ... A user may ONLY sudo as allowed in the /etc/sudoers ... allowing a command with any parameters ... This config allows my normal user to do whatever he'd normally be able to ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Clams.....
    ... either by su> password> Kate, ... running in root. ... have you set up sudo? ... the command sudo gedit /etc/filename would ask for the user ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: any way to track commands of a user logged in through ssh
    ... applies _to that command only_. ... the command they want to run with 'sudo', ... I use/run a Shell command that requires 'root' privileges...Especially ... So what do you think about creating a separate 'group' for certain ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... We are defining 'command' differently. ... When discussing root permissions, I define commands at the OS level. ... sudo lets me run a complete binary application as a different user. ...
    (SuSE)