Re: Re: compatibility problems

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 03:32:15PM -0800, Don Harwood wrote:

yes i downloaded the net install cd on my friends dialup

this week end i hope to try my first bootup, i wont get the dsl installed
until next year so i wont be able to get the full package until then my
fingers are crossed

Get your friend to download the debian-installer manual, and the
debian-reference manual (available from the website in tarballs or as
.debs). Read them while you're waiting for the DSL box so you know how
to set up networking from and editor. The hardware (IP, netmask, etc)
is set up in /etc/network/interfaces, with your ISP's nameserver in a
dns-nameserves line, the box's hostname in /etc/hostname.

Anyway, you can ask here for answers when you have difficulties. If you
are new to linux and won't be setting up everything at once in the
installer (and perhaps if you do too), you will have some problems that
are easy to fix with a bit of help.

Doug.

  • Re: transferring data from IDE drive to SATA drive?
    ... That wont work with a clean install with most apps, ... wont have the registry entrys they need in the clean install. ... Or just backup what you download the first time. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: somethings up with the repositories
    ... some of the packages will install, some wont even downlaod and they will ... Settings|Repositories| click on "Download from" then ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Blocked downloads on users other than administrator
    ... Hi Kelly I just went to that link and I cant even download that. ... How do I change this long enough to install it? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: WindowsUpdate_80240016 error
    ... They guy has just directed you to download malicious or crapware. ... Update will not install and shows Error Code 80240016 - computer runs forever but nothing happens. ... - but Vista will not allow me to rename the folder even tho I am an Admin ... Stop the Windows Update service ...
  • Re: spyware not working
    ... You cannot really "download from a disc" - you could install. ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... More full function applications for CD/DVD burning would be: ...