Re: Linux kernel image 2.6.23-1 + sound card yamaha YMF-754

On Dec 30, 2007 8:24 AM, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 16:59:09 -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
On 12/29/07, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Javier Vasquez wrote:
Happy holidays !

I have a toshiba satellite 2800-S202, with a yamaha sound card
YMF-754. From the lspci output I see:

<snip>

firmware request failed: -2

<snip>

I see this in the changelog for 2.6.23-1 (I am only now dnlding 2.6.23-2):

* Remove binary only firmwares for:
- Yamaha YMF724/740/744/754

Could that be related?

Hugo

Well, the card is YMF754, so if fits into the ones, and the problem is
also about firmware, so you seem to have identified the issue...

If this is actually the issue, is there a way to work around it?
Maybe downloadind the firmware from somewhere and placing into a
specific directory? Maybe just like it's done for ipw2100/ipw2200?

I think I know how to do this, but please be aware that I do not have
this card myself, therefore I cannot test anything. Follow the steps
below at your own risk.

Judging from the source code of the module, you need these three files:

$ grep 'FIRMWARE' ymfpci_main.c
MODULE_FIRMWARE("yamaha/ds1_dsp.fw");
MODULE_FIRMWARE("yamaha/ds1_ctrl.fw");
MODULE_FIRMWARE("yamaha/ds1e_ctrl.fw");

Googling for these filenames turns up some RPMs, but I think it is
better to get the firmware package from the ALSA site and generate the
files yourself:

wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/firmware/alsa-firmware-1.0.14.tar.bz2

tar -xjvf alsa-firmware-1.0.14.tar.bz2

cd alsa-firmware-1.0.14

./configure

cd ymfpci

make

This generates the three files:

-rw-r--r-- 1 12K 2007-12-30 14:09 ds1_ctrl.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 128 2007-12-30 14:09 ds1_dsp.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 12K 2007-12-30 14:09 ds1e_ctrl.fw

They probably have to be put into /lib/firmware/yamaha, then you can try
to load the snd-ymfpci kernel module again.

If you have so far never compiled programs on your system then you will
probably get error messages about missing tools during the "./configure"
step. Post the last few lines of output if you cannot figure out which
packages you need to fix this.

Florian |

Thanks a lot,

Actually downloading the firmware sources from alsa web (right now
1.0.15 version), compiling it and placing the *.fw files under
/lib/firmware/yamaha worked pretty well. So this is the approach I'll
follow from now on.

I'm used to the kernel compilation process, but I prefer to keep using
the debian stock compiled one as much as possible, :).

BTW, the only caviar for this, is the need to keep looking at the alsa
web to see if there are any new updates to the firmware, the same way
one needs to keep looking at the ipw2100/ipw2200 web pages to find new
updates... In fact although Florian mentioned version 1.0.14, the web
already had 1.0.15, but it might be that the yamaha firmware itself
didn't suffer any changes from the 1.0.14 to 1.0.15, :)... However
then there's no need to play around with the kernel, :)...

Again, thanks a lot, very good guidance from everybody...

--
Javier