Re: How to set up simple cgi web

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 10:22:58AM +1100, hce wrote:
Sorry for not being clear. I actually did not want to install apache,
I am just doing my program to use freecgi library and want to test the
cgi binary file on my local machine. I was told I could set up a
simple web server to use a browser http://my_ip_address to invoke the
cgi file without installing the apache. Or, is it wrong?

I changed /www to /var/www, but the browser still got an error message
"You tried to access the address http://my_ip_address/, which is
currently unavailable"

This would indicate that you are not running a web server and you can't
serve web pages (CGI or otherwise) without one.

So you'll have to install a web server if you want to do this.

Apache2 is currently the typical web server to use on Debian systems,
so it would be my recommendation, but there are other options if you
have some objection to apache2 in particular, such as aolserver4, boa,
bozohttpd, cherokee, dhttpd, fnord, lighttpd, mathopd, micro-httpd,
mini-httpd, thttpd, tntnet, webfs, or yaws. (Note that I got this list
from some quick apt-cache searches. I am not familiar with any of these
web servers other than apache/apache2 and don't know how well they would
work for your purposes.)

--
I reckon we are now the only monastry ever that had a dungeon stuffed with
sixteen thousand zombies.

  • Re: unable to write from a select into outfile
    ... remote host as whatever user your remote host's CGI is running as. ... including the "nobody" user and the database and web server accounts. ... The /tmp directory should have permissions 01777 (sticky, ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: Web Connectivity
    ... CGI works in Windows too.... ... Probably a jRCS solution would work better, would not require jBASE on the ... >>> What is the easiest way to query and display jBase ... >>> Linux and the web server is IIS on 2003 server. ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • [Full-Disclosure] [VulnWatch] sh-httpd `wildcard character vulnerability
    ... sh-httpd is a shell script-based Web server that supports GET and HEAD methods, and a CGI 1.1 interface. ... It's not real fast, and it's probably not real secure, but it is really small. ... xploithackermailcom INetCop Security Home: http://www.inetcop.org ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • [Full-Disclosure] sh-httpd `wildcard character vulnerability