Brief question as to the Linux kernel in use in the Stable version of Etch

I have looked all through the info and the best I can find is that Etch uses version 2.6.18 of the Linux kernel. Since the stable version was put out there in the early part of Jan 2008, that seems like a very old version to be releasing. Am I right that this is the version in use? If so that does not support my ethernet connection and I will have to look elsewhere for a Linux to use.

My ethernet adapter is an ATTANSIC Gigabyte L1 (also released since the takeover of ATTANSIC by ATHEROS as the ATHEROS Gigabyte L1. From what I have been able to find out the earliest kernel supporting this adapter is the 2.6.22. That is the reason I am asking as I would like to take a good look at Debian but if I can't connect to the ethernet with it then it is useless to me. This is also the problem I have with PCLinuxOS as it also uses this version of the kernel. Ubuntu, Sabayon, Slackware, etc all use more recent versions so I can use them but I really am trying as many distros as I can to find the one I want to stick with.

Thanks in advance.

Dick Thompson
rhomp2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jamaica, NY 11435

    (Debian-User)
  • Re: failing to boot from mfsroot.gz
    ... > I have a 4.8 system that booted from flash using a kernel.gz and ... The ethernet parts were not fully supported by the fxp driver ... > but tells me that proc is out of sync with the kernel. ... To unsubscribe, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: testing install in acer aspire v5-571P with uefi/gpt
    ... kernel in the disk and further it could not recognise both ethernet and ... Realtek ethernet ... I for one doubt the message you saw said there was no kernel in the ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Why is the kernel in testing so far behind whats current?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Install on new iMac - Ethernet?