Re: upgrading X in sid

On Jan 28, 2008 6:29 AM, charlie derr <cderr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a laptop with a native resolution of 1900x1200 which has been working fine for the past year an a half.

This weekend I upgraded (which included both X and kde) in unstable/sid and now I find that my X session is being rendered
(according to xvidtune) at 1680x1050

What's odd is that the relevant section from /etc/X11/xorg.conf (pasted below) wouldn't seem to allow that.

Anyone know what's going on? The only explanation that makes sense to me is that Xorg now directly queries the graphics
subsystem and essentially ignores what's been set in xorg.conf. I'm definitely interested in knowing how to get back the full
1900x1200 resolution.

Here is what part of my xorg.conf looks like:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "G90f-2"
Option "DPMS"
Option "PreferredMode" "1600x1200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "ATI RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]"
Monitor "G90f-2"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
#Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection

As you can see the "modes" are commented out, and monitor
has a "preferredmode". Unfortunately I don't remember what
blog post pointed me in this direction and I don't know what
variant methods might work, if this particular setup do the job.

Hopefully this will be of some help.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers