Re: gdm session chooser list

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:15:30AM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

Yeah GDM seems like it is an overly complicated piece of software. But
that is because it is heavily customizable and is used for a variety of
purposes (remote login, safe mode, etc). There is another lightweight
session chooser called xdm if I am not mistaken but it is not as
"pretty" as gdm.

Debian has gdm, kdm, wdm and xdm. gdm and kdm are well-maintained and
actually used. xdm and wdm are not really usable. Technically they are.
But there's not much to gain from using them.

BTW: both xdm and wdm support remote login. It's a basic functionality
that has been in xdm for long time. There's also ldm for remote logins
over ssh.

BTW: consider good old console login and startx.

I guess if you don't need gdm you can choose to eliminate it from
startup and have your X server automatically login to XFCE. I did
this before and have the notes somewhere if you need it.

Rather than reinvent the wheel and get into a loop at some problem with
the X server, do use xdm and automatic login for that. gdm and kdm
support automatic login. xdm and wdm - not , IIRC.

I myself don't use the GNOME window manager at all. I use a very
lightweight WM called DWM (www.suckless.org/dwm). Amazing piece of
software. Check it out. It takes a while to get used to but I find
myself more productive now that I am using this.

I personally use icewm. Most of the time of the session startup here is
spent by a numch of extra programs I set to start (the slowest is
iceape/iceweasel)

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@xxxxxxxxxx | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's

  • Re: Newbie-friendly setup
    ... I have been looking into both gdm and xdm at various stages of my ... been that the main feature of a display manager is to show a graphical ... login box, as opposed to the text login one has in run level 3. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: X startup: background image of xdm
    ... is the title of the login screen. ... labeled Logo area:. ... Define which session types should be accessible from the login window. ... find your xdm setup files. ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • Re: Why?
    ... Back when I first tried using it KDM presented a login ... Text entry box labelled 'Password' ... the original XDM is very 'no frills' and assumes you need to log ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Cannot connect to network now...
    ... If you're starting X with "startx", xdm is not part of the equation. ... on a text console and then manually starting X with "startx". ... >>can also install fetchmail to pop that mail to your local machine, ... to a website), then press Alt-F2 and login on VT2 and start "mutt", then ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Still, no-joy with kdm......
    ... Display managers (xdm, gdm, kdm, wdm), when run manually, have to ... be run as user root: ... Login: root ... the user's ~/.login file needs to start X; ...
    (freebsd-questions)