Re: Debian Repository Question

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 06:23:49PM +0100, gooldi wrote:
Hi,

I have a question about the way packages are handled in Debian. I am used to CentOS/Fedora Repositories.

From your question I am guessing you are talking about the current stable release (codename etch).

My Problem:
*I have a Package Z that has a dependency on a "Package X Version Y1" in the Repository.
*Package X Version Y1 is updated to version Y2 in the Repository.
*My dependency is broken.

This can happen if you run testing (lenny) or unstable (sid).

My questions are:
*Where do the old (Y1) packages land? or are the thrown out of the Repository?

Packages removed from the distro can be found at snapshot.debian.net

*What do the revisions actually mean? (4.0r3) Because there is no way to get to the packages of lets say 4.0r2.

Revisions mean that stable is still 4.0 but it received some updates. You can (probably) get old packages from snapshot.d.n (see above), *but* the current stable release only receives _security_ and/or _major bugfixes_. You would be better of upgrading to r3. If you think you have reasons not to you should ask here.

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. Is this a philosophical/hypothetical question or a real situation? In case of the later please state what you are actually trying to achieve.

This is my first time asking stuff on a mailinglist and I am amazed at the speed of the replies :) thanks!

We are using OpenVZ for virtualization which uses EZ-Templates to create OS-Template-Caches (ie Debian). These templates are metapackages which depend on packages in the official repositories. Our customers have the problem, when migrating their system and rebuilding the template-cache that it doesn't work when the packages aren't in the repo anymore.

The easiest solution to the problem is updating the EZ-templates.

-Tom

  • Re: question about setting up a local repository
    ... question about setting up a local repository ... I have a few RH4 servers at my place of work and I am ... packages but I don't know if I could download them all that way? ... account, you also get access to Google Talk, Google's instant messaging ...
    (RedHat)
  • troubles with custom repository
    ... I am working on creating a custom debian repository at the University ... | `-- umd ... apt-ftparchive packages. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • debianizing directories?
    ... we have a number of Debian boxen out in the field. ... boxen run a suite of PHP applications. ... putting our own packages on that repository. ... I use dupload to upload the packages to our repository. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Fwd: Re: Another bug of debian package --- Validation issue
    ... Well, if this is the case, then Debian should put its ... Where is the disclaimer as such? ... distros can be very different and packages built for ... with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Gaim problems
    ... and those packages were removed from the ... debian repository. ... You can look for them from a third-party repository ... > with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)