Re: Allowing users to mount external drive/thumbdrive

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 06:32:18PM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Chris Henry wrote:
Hi,
I've just reinstalled a windows computer with debian today. While I
can add an entry to fstab to allow user to be able to mount an
external drive, it won't allow flexible usage of external
drive/thumbdrive.

If you are using a recent enough version of debian (etch or later),
just adding the user to the floppy group should be enough.

# adduser <username> floppy

Next time the user logs in, plugging in an external drive automatically
mounts it.

Only if he is running a DTE that does this. I never have. Let them
either run a cli to mount the thing or create a button on their wm icon
tray or an entry in a menu.

Doug.