Re: Allowing users to mount external drive/thumbdrive

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 06:32:18PM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Chris Henry wrote:
Hi,
I've just reinstalled a windows computer with debian today. While I
can add an entry to fstab to allow user to be able to mount an
external drive, it won't allow flexible usage of external
drive/thumbdrive.

If you are using a recent enough version of debian (etch or later),
just adding the user to the floppy group should be enough.

# adduser <username> floppy

Next time the user logs in, plugging in an external drive automatically
mounts it.

Only if he is running a DTE that does this. I never have. Let them
either run a cli to mount the thing or create a button on their wm icon
tray or an entry in a menu.

Doug.

  • Re: USB flash drive not automounting
    ... Then I checked out an SD card in my card reader, and it too was a breeze to ... mount when I finally figured out what device it was. ... Debian is where I want to stay. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: /tmp is too small
    ... no /etc/fstab entry for /tmp. ... decides to mount the tmpfs on /tmp. ... was mounted like tmpfs) was filling only when extracting of the plugin was active. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: /tmp is too small
    ... no /etc/fstab entry for /tmp. ... decides to mount the tmpfs on /tmp. ... installing special plugin, which i was needed. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: /tmp is too small
    ... no /etc/fstab entry for /tmp. ... decides to mount the tmpfs on /tmp. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)