Re: configuration of a linux router

Douglas,

dt> Now you're using shaw.ca for your home domain. Do you own that? Would
you like to e.g. relay mail for all of shaw.ca?

Not really.

OK, I've invented the domain name petershouse;
the current hosts file follows. Please let me know of any
remaining errors.

Isn't there a place to specify the domain, analogous to /etc/hostname?
Unfortunate that these matters aren't mentioned in the hosts
man page. Also, I wonder that /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts,
/etc/network/interfaces and perhaps a few other files haven't
been amalgated into one. Excessive fragmentation increases
the likelihood of confusion and error.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

# /etc/hosts file
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

# Private LANs at home
172.23.4.1 joule.petershouse joule
172.23.4.2 curie.petershouse curie

172.23.5.1 joule.petershouse joule
172.23.5.2 heaviside.petershouse heaviside

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Desktops.OpenDoc http://carnot.yi.org/

  • Re: I need guidance about how to configure a newly installed Jessie
    ... In short hashing them opens a backdoor ... configured hosts into the .ssh/known_hosts files on older computers. ... So much un*x and Internet documentation is written by and for people ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: MTA experts: address rewriting depending on next hop
    ... headers not normally visible to the user, ... you need at least 1 MX records naming ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • e2fsck.conf and ssh_known_hosts: where?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: question about avoid duplicated ip address
    ... DHCP server for all hosts. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: HIDS recommendations?