Re: Debian is losing its users

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:58:02AM -0700, Jeff wrote:
If you want Debian to be popular with more people, work at making it better for more people.

However, be careful not to make it worse for the previously loyal users.
If you add fancy but fragile knobs and eye-candy, the fragility will
scare off anyone who wants to use Debian for a serious use rather than a
consumer kiddy's desktop.

Doug.

I'd love to see a project, within Debian or not, that works on "user enhancement" packages. The goal would be to create various *optional* packages that could be added to a stock debian system to give it some of the sizzle that attracts some users to ubu, etc. This way, the Debian purist could just ignore the glitz.

jeff

    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to "make install" apt?
    (Debian-User)
  • OT: Free Software WAS: Re: Odp: Re: Hugin on debian "sarge"
    ... It might be true that some commercial software comes with excellent manuals and help, but for example Window$ XP doesn't. ... I'm sure that once you've become a bit more familiar with the 'debian way' you will agree that it is ... one can get debian packages for etch on adding ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Migration from Debian/powerpc to Debian/i386
    ... I'm currently using Debian on an iMac G5. ... the configuration and the list of packages. ... tar cjf /somewhere/big/blah.tbz. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Migration from Debian/powerpc to Debian/i386
    ... I'm currently using Debian on an iMac G5. ... the configuration and the list of packages. ... Of course you will have to setup all your hardware: ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)